[Mne_analysis] question regarding mne_do_forward_solution

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 30 06:36:29 EST 2013

Hi Andy,

On Jan 30, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Dykstra, Andrew wrote:

> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> So, unless some change in the coordinate transforms has occurred between
> the raw and evoked files, there should be no difference when using
> either for computing the forward solution, correct?

This is correct. I have tried to find the rationale for the sentence in the Manual. I think I had the idea that the automatically created forward solution file name (see --fwd option) would better reflect the associated data if the convention is followed. However, I might do it differently now.

- Matti

> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> --
> Andrew R. Dykstra, PhD
> Auditory Cognition Lab
> Neurologie und Poliklinik
> Universitätsklinikum Heidelberg
> Im Neuenheimer Feld 400
> 69120 Heidelberg
>
> "How small the cosmos.  How paltry and puny compared to human consciousness . . . to a single individual recollection." - Vladimir Nabokov
>
> On 01/29/2013 09:16 AM, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> unless something happened to the raw file since the evoked
>> was computed the measurement information (channel
>> location, head transformation etc.) should be identical between the raw
>> and the evoked fif file. I guess this recommendation is mostly
>> to avoid mistakes when you work on a particular evoked dataset.
>>
>> Best,
>> Alex
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Hari Bharadwaj
>> <hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>    I am guessing that is there just to remind us that we could have
>>> applied transformations to the head coordinate frame like when using
>>> 'maxfilter -trans ...' and hence it is best to use the --meas file to
>>> which the inverse generated from this particular forward would be
>>> applied.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Hari

>>> --
>>> Hari Bharadwaj
>>> PhD Candidate, Biomedical Engineering,
>>> Boston University
>>> 677 Beacon St.,
>>> Boston, MA 02215
>>>
>>> Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging,
>>> Massachusetts General Hospital
>>> 149 Thirteenth Street,
>>> Charlestown, MA 02129
>>>
>>> hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
>>> Ph: 734-883-5954

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
>>> dispose of the e-mail.

---------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital

msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
mhamalainen at partners.org