[Mne_analysis] mne_setup_source_space

Gustavo Sudre gsudre at pobox.com
Wed Jun 5 10:12:51 EDT 2013

MNE-ers,

I was wondering if you could clarify what's the cause of the following behavior. I have a triangular mesh surface (.surf) that was created using mne_convert_surfaces from a .tri file. Now, I'd like to only use some of the points on the surface (i.e. decimate it), so I'm using mne_setup_source_space for that. I get a reduction in the number of sources up to spacing = 3 (from 40962 sources to 2562), but anything higher than that gives me the same number of sources. If I plot the "poka-dot" surface, I can see that there is still plenty of room for further decimation.

Is there anything in the decimation algorithm that prevents further decimation after a certain ratio? Or should I be checking my surface for some specific malformations?

Note that this is not a MEG problem, so I'm using the terminology of sources mostly to make it easier. The actual issue is simply decimating a surface. I'm just using the MNE tools because I'm familiar with them and this way I don't have to re-code these procedures :) I thought about implementing my own decimation, but if you know of standard algorithms to decimate a surface, preferably already implemented in Python, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

Best,

Gus