[Mne_analysis] mne.viz.plot_topo behavior

Kambiz Tavabi ktavabi at uw.edu
Thu Jun 27 17:38:35 EDT 2013

Hi all,
So I am not exactly sure about everything that has happened. I managed to
get things working by:
(1) Updating my EPD-CANOPY environment to version 1.0.3
(2) Update all my python packages via $ enpkg --update-all
(3) Nuked my mne-python directory and re-installed via (i) git clone git://
github.com/mne-tools/mne-python.git (ii) python setup.py install
It's not clear to me why there are so many alternative ways of installing
mne-python, but in trying to go from 0.6 to 0.7 I used pip install and
inadvertently ended up with both 0.6 & 0.7 recursively installed in my
/usr/local directory. I am assuming that to stay up to date with
developments the git approach is the way to go, correct?

I am now using mne 0.7.
@ Denis after upgrading python environment and packages I was still able to
reproduce the viz.plot_topo error in mne 0.6 using the sample data. The
command ipython --pylab qt  generates yet another import error concerning
missing module sip. After updating to mne 0.7 I can now run the topo plots.
@Martin Yes, in hindsight it would've been better to go with EPD 7.3 or
perhaps even better Anaconda. This pylab back-end issue in Canopy has been
around for some time and was slated for a fix. It appears the new Canopy
update may have fixed it. Presently I find the entire Python environments
business very confusing and would like to just stick to one instead of flip
flopping around like a fish out of water; if I hit anymore snags I'll try
Anaconda.

Adios
Kambiz

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Martin Luessi <mluessi at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu