[Mne_analysis] Low pass filtering questions

Alexandre Gramfort gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 14 06:31:09 EDT 2013

hi Don,

MNE uses what is called an overlap-add approach. Indeed fft is applied to
buffers of 2048 samples by default. The filter is applied in the
frequency domain
using a transition band of 5Hz. The benefit is that it is much faster
and you only
need to store a fraction of the data in memory. FYI the MNE-Python code
uses it too but also supports IIR filters.

HTH
Alex