[Mne_analysis] Re-referencing EEG electrodes in MNE

Leggitt, Alan Alan.Leggitt at ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 1 13:27:03 EDT 2013

Thanks so much for the feedback. Right now I'm trying to implement this in the raw stage, the rationale being that re-referencing might reduce the number of epochs that are rejected by amplitude threshold. I don't want to do this with an average reference, since I know that I have some noisy channels that I need to exclude.

I was playing around with this yesterday and I came up with a crude solution. I've attached my python code.

Although I eventually want to move to source modeling, right now I'm interested in using MNE to do ERP and spectral analysis, instead of using something Matlab based like EEGLAB. Would you recommend re-referencing in this context?

While I'm on the subject, EEGLAB recommends specifying a reference channel when import eeg data from a .bdf file. Their rationale ...

%                  WARNING! Biosemi Active II data
% are recorded reference-free, but LOSE 40 dB of SNR
% if no reference is used!. If you do not know which
% channel to use, pick one and then re-reference after
% the channel locations are read in. {default: none}

Is this also a problem with mne_edf2fiff ?

Thanks again,
Alan Leggitt