[Mne_analysis] mne_do_forward solution fails reading tag directory

Jon Houck jhouck at unm.edu
Thu Oct 10 18:51:22 EDT 2013

I have some old notes from Neuromag on this, which are quoted below.  As
Alex suggested, it may be that a copy failed.  That was the case for our
subject -- I've never had to actually follow the instructions below.  Hope
this is helpful.

Jon

This symptom usually comes when the tail of the file is missing. This
typically happens when somebody copies a file and disk comes full or the
copy is stopped in the middle.

To fix the file: in principle one needs to set the pointer to directory to
-1 to prevent software to try to access the directory, remove all jumps to
nonexisting tail data, add all "closing parenthesis" (end of block markers)
to end of file to make its structure consistent again (graph can open files
that are "open" at the end, so the last step is not absolutely necessary).
If the missing tail is not very short, you are likely to loose digitization,
HPI measurement, patient info and some other pieces that are glued to the
end when the file is saved.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Alexandre Gramfort <
alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

> hi Vincent,
>
> any chance a fif file was corrupted?
>
> Alex
>

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Vincent Rupp Jr.
> <vincentruppjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When attempting to run mne_do_forward_solution on a subject, forward
> > computation fails with the message "Could not read tag directory!". Could
> > anyone tell me what this error message is referring to?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Vincent Rupp Jr

> > The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
> it is
> > addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the
> > e-mail
> > contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance
> > HelpLine at
> > http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you
> in
> > error
> > but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
> > properly
> > dispose of the e-mail.

Jon M. Houck, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions
Department of Psychology
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131