[Mne_analysis] computing peak frequency in source space

Denis-Alexander Engemann denis.engemann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 12:14:52 EDT 2013

Hi Luke,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Luke Bloy <luke.bloy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in computing the peak frequency within a band for each
> source.
>
> So my first question is does this already exists somewhere?

This example might be of interest.

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/time_frequency/plot_source_space_time_frequency.html#example-time-frequency-plot-source-space-time-frequency-py

Basically it returns source estimates per frequency band each of which can
be visualized on e.g. a cortical surface.

Another timely alternative is the DICS bearmformer recently added by Roman:

https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/examples/inverse/plot_dics_source_power.py

https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/examples/inverse/plot_dics_beamformer.py

you can always use numpy.argmax and argsort functions to quickly navigate
through peaks inside the resulting arrays.

If not what would people suggest as a jumping off point for developing it.
> I was thinking of following apply_inverse in inverse.py until I get the
> final inverse operator (K in line 753) and then looping through each row
> (source) in K to compute the time course and peak power and frequency. Any
> other suggestions or downsides to this approach?

Maybe let's first see whether what is implemented so far gives you what
you're looking for.

I hope this helps + cheers,
Denis