[Mne_analysis] [Freesurfer] question about how to calculate COV for MNE

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 8 11:27:49 EDT 2014

Hi Joe,
   I'm venturing some answers inline..
Hope these help.

Hari

On Mon, April 7, 2014 5:26 pm, Joseph Dien wrote:
> This is helpful, thanks!
>
> Some further thoughts and questions:
>
> 1) Given how whitening is conducted, the reference choice would be
> critical.  I want to make sure that when my software writes out the COV
> information to the -cov.fif file, that it is doing it correctly.  How is
> referencing being handled?  For example, is the COV info always average
> referenced even if the data accompanying it has not been average
> referenced yet?  Or is it always in the current referencing scheme with
> the reference info sent along separately so it can be taken into account
> later?  Or what?

Like Alex said MNE enforces the use of average reference for source
estimation. Average reference has some advantages (at least in theory)
compared to an alternate reference (like linked ears) when it is likely
that the forward model estimation will be inaccurate at the reference
electrode of choice. With average reference, the forward calculation at
the reference electrode becomes irrelevant.

> 2) I also see part of what was confusing me.  It sounded as though 4.17
> was for when one is averaging data together whereas 6.3 is for when one is
> subtracting or summing.  So when combining subject averages together into
> a grand average, one would use the 4.17 procedure, which quite rightly
> made no sense to me.  Instead, 4.17 is intended for the situation where
> ideally only noise is present and the goal is to just weight the estimates
> of noise according to their quality (the number of observations used to
> generate them) when combining them, which in the case of two perfect COV
> estimates of noise will not change when combined together (still perfect).
>
> So I understand 4.17 now.  I am still wrestling with how 6.3 is to be
> applied.  My understanding is that when one adds or subtracts two epochs
> with nothing but random noise, the noise level does not change.  If
> anything the noise level (variance over the epoch) increases as I just
> demonstrated to myself with an Excel spreadsheet.  The noise level
> improvement only occurs when one takes the average of the epochs and is
> well known in the EEG field to occur following a square root of the number
> of observations involved.

Section 4.17 is about estimating the covariance matrix of the noise in the
*raw* (unaveraged/single-trial) data... When you combine multiple
estimates, you just get a better estimate but it still corresponds to the
cov of the noise in the *raw* data. You are not changing the noise levels
in the procedures described in this sections, just that you are improving
estimates of what the noise is, with the level still corresponding to raw
data

> So what situation is 6.3 intended for?  It seems to indicate that if one
> takes a difference wave (say ERP to incongruent word minus congruent word)
> then one should calculate Leff as described and then obtain the new COV by
> dividing the original COV (C-zero) by Leff.  Given the previous paragraph,
> this procedure doesn’t make sense to me since the noise level (as measured
> by COV) should not be decreasing.  So I’m clearly still missing something.
>
> From a practical perspective, I’m asking because I want to make sure my
> software generates the correct COV for difference waves.

The considerations in chapter 6 on the other hand come into play when you
are using a given noise-cov (which always corresponds to raw noise levels)
with your choice of evoked (multitrial averaged) data to compute an
inverse. Since the noise in the evoked data is smaller than the noise in
the raw data (by a factor of #trials), the noise cov matrix is scaled down
before the STC files are generated from it. By default, the scaling here
is the number of trials mentioned in the evoked data file.

Now, to your main question: If you have manipulated your evoked responses
in complex ways that the software cannot keep track of (For instance
subtracting two evoked responses (corresponding to say congruent and
incongrunt words), then it is up to you to specify how to the scale the
noise cov from raw data before calculating the inverse solution (STC file
typically). Otherwise the software will use the default scaling from the
nave field in the header of the evoked fif file that you are supplying to
it. You can specify the scaling by setting the "nave" parameter either in
mne-python or when using the command-line tools the "--nave" for
"mne_make_movie". You don't have to scale the noise-cov files by hand..
They should continue to correspond to raw data. Instead you just specify
the scaling (which is chosen based on what evoked data you supply) when
you come to the stage where you use the noise-cov to generate inverse
estimates.

Just to take an example and talk through the whole process, if you have
two conditions (corresponding to say congruent and incongrunt words), with
50 and 50 trials each and lets say you are interested in localizing the
difference wave (instead of localizing them separately and doing stats
comparing them in source space). When you do the difference, the effective
scaling of the noise you need is:

L_eff = 50*50/(50 + 50) = 25.

So when using mne_make_movie (or the corresponding mne-python function),
you specify explicitly that nave = 25.

Note that this confirms that when you subtract two ERPs, the noise
actually doubles in variance (or increases by a factor of sqrt(2) in
standard deviation).. i.e., instead of dividing by 50 which would have
happened if you localized *either* of those conditions, because you
subtracted them, you only divide by 25.

--
Hari Bharadwaj
PhD Candidate, Biomedical Engineering,