[Mne_analysis] source estimate stc files and current source density estimates

David I Leitman leitman at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 10 11:21:42 EDT 2014

Hi D,

To be clear: the " dSPM value "units reported on  the y axis of figures such as plot_compute_mne_inverse.py are real and by "Am" do you mean micro Amperes?

if so I am then really confused by the MNE manual(6.2): in the section on Minimum norm estimates : It really suggests that the dSPM output is a stat because of the noise normalization procedure conducted: see below:

Noise normalization
The noise-normalized linear estimates introduced by Dale et al. require division of the expected current amplitude by its variance. Noise normal- ization serves three purposes:

It converts the expected current value into a dimensionless statistical test variable. Thus the resulting time and location dependent values are often referred to as dynamic statistical parameter maps (dSPM).

It reduces the location bias of the estimates. In particular, the tendency of the MNE to prefer superficial currents is eliminated.

The width of the point-spread function becomes less dependent on the source location on the cortical mantle. The point-spread is defined as the MNE resulting from the signals coming from a point current source (a current dipole) located at a certain point on the cortex.

In practice, noise normalization requires the computation of the diagonal elements of the matrix

M C M T = M ̃ M ̃ T .
With help of the singular-value decomposition approach we see directly

that

M ̃ M ̃ T = V Γ 2 V T .

Under the conditions expressed at the end of Section 6.2.5, it follows that the t-statistic values associated with fixed-orientation sources) are thus proportional to L while the F-statistic employed with free-orientation sources is proportional to L , correspondingly.

Note: A section discussing statistical considerations related to the noise normalization procedure will be added to this manual in one of the subse- quent releases.

Note: The MNE software usually computes the square roots of the F-sta- tistic to be displayed on the inflated cortical surfaces. These are also pro- portional to L .