[Mne_analysis] pick orientation, MNE, dSPM and group analyses

dgw dgwakeman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 09:27:39 EDT 2014

IMO, oct-6 is severely decimated (only 2.75% of the points in the
source space originally). I'm not sure that --loose 0.2 will
accurately capture the range of orientations (especially dangerous if
not using the cps). Plus by morphing on top of this coarse spacing
with 20 smooth steps that ends up smoothing the result a lot. If you
want to keep the analysis in the time domain, I would first explore
the timecourses of the labels within the individuals to see what sort
of pattern emerges (particularly with respect to their individual
anatomy). As I said before it could be anatomical variability, but you
may be able to correct for this if the whole label actually has a
consistent orientation across participants (the current decimation (in
combination with your other parameters), could be causing the sign
flipping you are seeing). In that case simply adding cps "should"
improve the situation.

Of course one "easy fix" is to just pick the peak frequency in the
region/time you are interested in and average the power in that band
(this will save you from the flipping issues, by removing phase).

HTH,

Aside:
What would be "explicit" decimation? To me reducing the source space
to oct-6 is decimation (how else could one decimate?).