[Mne_analysis] pick orientation, MNE, dSPM and group analyses

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:52:08 EDT 2014

> On Aug 8, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Denis-Alexander Engemann <denis.engemann at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hari,
>
> good you mention it. I had something similar in mind.
>
> Denis
>
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Hari Bharadwaj <hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Denis,
>>    If you are interested in the grand average (across subjects) in a
>> label, then perhaps you could get a label average for each subject
>> separately and use those time-courses (1 per subejct) to then do a
>> "mean flip" like procedure when averaging across subjects?
>>
>> This was the procedure I used for one of my studies and it worked
>> reasonably well.. Of course, if you did the loose and used unsigned
>> values, you don't run into the polarity issue..
>
> Indeed, but the you also loose comparibility with sensor space results and for example TFR analyses are prohibitive with free orientation estimates, etc., and so on.

I agree..
In addition, using the surface fixed orientation constraint is indeed incorporating more prior information and does help improve localization (assuming you have individual MRIs and good registration with the sensors etc.)... It is indeed my preferred approach to constrain the orientations when possible.