[Mne_analysis] specify noise covariance rank in MNE-Python?

Christopher Bailey cjb at cfin.au.dk
Mon Dec 15 07:42:50 EST 2014

Hi all,

I want to be sure I understand this discussion, as it seems highly relevant:

- on reduced-rank data {SSS, ICA, ...}, mne.cov.regularize has been the only way to deal with the loss of dimension
- now Engemann and Gramfort (in press) propose alternatives and implement an automatic "optimal" cov-regularizer in WIP 1671

What advantage, before or now, is there then of exposing the rank parameter? Would there be an advantage of regularizing in a rank-aware fashion (which mne.cov.regularize is not, as far as I can tell)?

@mluessi When you say "the detected rank is 200", what calculation is this based on? mne.cov.rank?

/Chris
--
Christopher Bailey, MSc
MEG Engineer, MINDLab Core Experimental Facility

tel. cell: +45-2674-9927
tel. office: +45-7846-9942