[Mne_analysis] Computing regression on sensor data then transforming to source space

Krieger, Donald N. kriegerd at upmc.edu
Thu Feb 20 06:47:05 EST 2014

Here's the reference to the paper:
Krieger, Onodipe, Charles, Sclabassi. Real time signal processing in the clinical setting. Annals Biomed Eng 26: 462-472, 1998.

I've forwarded pdf's to Alex and Denis and am happy it to post it to others.
It's too large to post to the list.
It's up on Researchgate too:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Don_Krieger/publication/236300079_RTSignalProcgClinical/file/504635179218e4ab24.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Unfortunately, I do not have a script or other software module which is fit for public consumption.
But I do not think that the time and effort to produce them from scratch will be significant for those who are contributing to mne-python.
The original fortran routine ran on a DEC PDP-11 cpu in 64 Kbytes of memory in real time so there shouldn't be a problem with computational cost or memory.

The paper details a set of uses for regression.  We routinely used it as a preprocessing step to identify and remove line noise and low frequency signal components.  Examples of both are included in the paper along with the algorithm.  Prophete Charles was able to prove that using regression in this way was equivalent to an ideal digital filtering operation.  But it's better because (1) it requires no warm up or cool down and (2) artifacts can be excluded from the regression to avoid ringing.

Regards,

Don

Don Krieger, Ph.D.
Department of Neurological Surgery