[Mne_analysis] question for Martinos MNE-python users

Martin Luessi mluessi at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:46:57 EST 2014

Hi Kestas,

It is definitely due to the gpfs problems as Dan mentioned. The problem
is that when starting python many small files are accessed, which can be
slow. I assume you are using EPD? It is a bit faster if you use
anaconda, i.e., add this to your path:

/usr/pubsw/packages/python/anaconda/bin

and get an academic license from here:

https://store.continuum.io/cshop/academicanaconda

anaconda is faster to start than EPD because many files are included as
zip files, which reduces the number of file system operations when
starting python.

Hope this helps,

Martin

On 02/28/14 13:32, Kestas Kveraga wrote:
> Thanks, Dan, I will now.
>
> On 02/28/2014 01:29 PM, dgw wrote:
>> Hi Kestas,
>>
>> It is likely related to the gpfs server problems mentioned on the
>> batch-users mailing list. Have you tried contacting help@?

>> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Kestas Kveraga
>> <kestas at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've used the Martinos network version of ipython before with no
>>> problems to run some stuff in MNE-python.
>>>
>>> Now when I try to start it up by typing 'ipython' after setting the path
>>> exactly as per 'Getting Started" instructions, it does not start for
>>> many minutes (20+) and when it finally starts, it is extremely slow
>>> (compared to previous usage or running a local version on a Mac laptop).
>>>
>>> The problem is not with the machine, which has gobs of free RAM (8GB+)
>>> and 4 CPUs that are mostly idle. Last time I quit ipython, it was using
>>>   >5GB of RAM, which seems excessive.
>>>
>>> What am I missing here? Should I install a local version, e.g., Canopy?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kestas

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
>>> dispose of the e-mail.

Martin Luessi, Ph.D.

Research Fellow

Department of Radiology
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School
149 13th Street
Charlestown, MA 02129