[Mne_analysis] Are TF-MxNE timecourses appropriate for Granger causality?

Per Arnold Lysne lysne at unm.edu
Thu Jul 10 19:07:20 EDT 2014

Hi Alex,

    I have tried to answer this question with a simulation, but am not completely sure I have done this right. I began with the "plot_simulate_evoked_data.py" example (http://martinos.org/mne/stable/auto_examples/plot_simulate_evoked_data.html#example-plot-simulate-evoked-data-py) and replaced the two wavelet-derived timecourses with a bivariate MVAR system which I generated using the "nitime" package. I commented out the IIR filtering but continued to use "generate_evoked" to create an evoked response which I then input to tf_mixed_norm (does this make sense? it feels like inputting something that is already in source space into the localizer algorithm). After ~250 iterations tf_mixed_norm reduces this system to two sources as expected, but both sources fall in the right hemisphere and an MVAR estimation of their timecourses no longer matches the system that I put it.

    In general I would like to simulate a simple MVAR system and assign it to a number of locations in brain space. Since TF-MxNE expects a sensor space evoked input, I think I would need to project this onto the sensor array? I would then like to pass this through TF-MxNE and see if the structure and locations of the original MVAR system are preserved. Does this sound like an appropriate way to approach this problem or am I missing something important?

    Thanks again,

Per Lysne
The University of New Mexico