[Mne_analysis] [ANN] MNE-Python 0.8 Release

Denis-Alexander Engemann denis.engemann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 03:58:49 EDT 2014

Dear list,

we are pleased to announce the new 0.8 release of MNE-python.

This release comes as usual with a lot of new features and usability
improvements thanks to our growing number of contributors.

A few highlights:

- “mne report”, a new tool to create interactive HTML reports for reviewing
and sharing data analysis results. Details can be found here:
http://martinos.org/mne/stable/mne_report_tutorial.html

and an example at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3915954/report.html

- visualize reconstructed electromagnetic fields on helmet and head surface.

- improved support for processing and visualizing EEG data in sensor space.

- new function for reading EGI EEG data.

- official Python 3 support (except 3D plotting)

- support for constructing MNE objects from arbitrary array inputs (allows
working with data stored e.g. in .mat files)

- ICA has been rewritten, we added the infomax and extended infomax
algorithms and lots of new functionality to automatically identify bad
components and visualize data quality.

- redesign sensor space time-frequency API with new somatosensory MEG
dataset with nice time-frequency content (see
http://martinos.org/mne/stable/auto_examples/time_frequency/plot_time_frequency_sensors.html
)

- functionality to visualize cross-talk and point-spread functions of
linear inverse solvers

- new functionality for regression analysis

http://martinos.org/mne/stable/auto_examples/stats/plot_sensor_regression.html

- functions to plot BEM segmentations and coregistration results to assess
their quality

http://martinos.org/mne/stable/auto_examples/plot_bem_contour_mri.html

- realtime time code to communicate with Fieldtrip buffer

The full list of the improvements coming in this release is at

http://martinos.org/mne/whats_new.html

Please note some changes such as the fact that the mne.fiff module is
deprecated and replaced by mne.io and functions directly via the mne
namespace (e.g. mne.read_evokeds).

To install the latest release the following command should do the job:

pip install mne --upgrade --user

As usual we welcome bug reports, feature requests, critics and even more
contributions.

Some links:

- https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python (code + readme on how to install)

- http://martinos.org/mne (full MNE documentation)

- http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/index.html (the Python examples)

- http://martinos.org/mne/python_reference.html (Python functions
documentation)

- http://mne-tools.github.io/mne-python-intro-slides/ (slides)

- http://martinos.org/mne/python_tutorial.html (an

introduction/tutorial to basic mne-python)

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mne_python

Regards,

The MNE-Python developers

People who contributed to this release with their number of commits:

  418  Denis A. Engemann

  284  Alexandre Gramfort

  242  Eric Larson

  155  Christian Brodbeck