[Mne_analysis] question about FIFF constants and CTF data

Gustavo Sudre gsudre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:03:48 EDT 2014

Anyone that knows the CTF system better, please feel free to correct me.

AFAIK, they're closer to cHPI coils, but called CHL (Continuous Head
Localization). They were not digitized (i.e. no Polhemus or laser scanner),
but photos of the coil locations were taken for each subject, and some
subjects did have their MRIs with vitamin E locators. But the coils are
normally placed along the 3 standard fiducial locations, and plugged to the
machine at specific ports (e.g. nasion coil into nasion port, etc). I'm
assuming the ds to fiff conversion takes that into consideration when
converting those coils into the dig struct, but I could be wrong, and
that's where the first question about point coordinates and identity came
from. Also, when continuous head localization is used, the information in
these 3 coils is saved as 3 special channels in the ds file.

Best,

Gus

--
Gustavo Sudre