[Mne_analysis] equivalence of averaged single trial STCs and evoked STCs

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 15 18:12:29 EDT 2014

Hi Alex,
    Just to follow up on your comment.. What do you mean when you say, that dSPM is "not a plain scaling of the estimates"?

For any *given vertex*, the MNE time course and the dSPM time course (or any other linear inverse time course) are indeed different only by a scale factor.  Of course, the MNE and dSPM *spatial maps* are not scaled versions of each other because the multiplier that relates the dSPM estimates to the MNE estimates is different for each vertex (the point of noise normalization being to improve the spatial map).

Also, if the baseline period is used for noise cov estimation, it is not clear to my why post hoc normalization by the baseline standard deviation is different from dSPM (even mathematically)..

Hari

Hari Bharadwaj
PhD Candidate, Biomedical Engineering,
Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory