[Mne_analysis] equivalence of averaged single trial STCs and evoked STCs

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Sun Mar 16 15:52:17 EDT 2014

Hi Alex,
   Thanks for the gist! Just ran it.. The results actually see to suggest
that the two stc (one with the original nave of 55, and the new nave of
10000) are pretty much scaled versions of each other with the scale
factor being exactly what you would expect, namely the ratio of the
sqrt(nave) in the two cases:
 See: http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~hari/MNEnotes/dSPM_nave_scaling.pdf

I agree with you that the regularization would change the numerical values
very slightly and hence they won't be *exactly* equal.

Also, I do think dSPM is pretty much z-scoring when you use the baseline
periods to estimate the noise covariance. If w_i is the row of the inverse
operator corresponding to the weights needed to estimate the MNE of source
#i, and C is the noise covariance, then the normalization factor used in
dSPM for that source is:
sqrt(w_i*C*w_i.T) (where .T denotes a transpose), which is indeed the
estimated standard deviation of the baseline. The reason that the dSPM
standard deviation is not *exactly* equal to 1 in the baseline is that the
noise-cov is estimated from raw-data samples and scaled by 'nave' =
#trials_in_evoked, rather than being estimated from the baseline of the
evoked data.
  On the other hand, if you had many datasets/sources and calculated the
baseline standard deviation, then across the datasets/sources you would
have the baseline sample standard deviation be distributed narrowly
around 1. In other words, the dSPM has a "null distribution" that is
mean zero and variance 1, which is what makes it an "SPM".

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Hari

--