[Mne_analysis] summary performance for ICA

Denis-Alexander Engemann denis.engemann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:43:22 EST 2014

Hi Yuhan,

I include the mailing list in this part of our conversation because this
might be interesting for other people as well.

> Hi Dennis,
>
> I (...) figured out that the SSP was turned on during epoching. Our
original problem is that when we tried to epoch raw data, ICA cleaned data,
ECG signal, the averaged ECG epoch is flat (zeros across the entire epoch).
When we set proj = False for mne.Epoch, the problem is resolved. Is it true
that by default, Epoch.py will set the SSP on?

Yes, you need to take care of this. Anyways I'm surprised you're getting
flat signals. What kind of SSPs did you include?

> The data I feed in is the Elekta data with maxfiltered tsss and movement
correction applied.

Normally you have SSPS included in the raws if you don't use maxfilter. But
think there's no point in using those if you have maxfiltered your data.
If you aim to identify biological artifacts using ICA there is no point in
having ECG/EOG projections.
When using maxfilter and ICA, you should not necessarily use SSP in
addition.
FYI I'd recommend to look up the number of dimensions estimated by
maxfilter from the log or recover it by estimating the rank of the data and
using this as input to ICA(n_components).

HTH,
Denis

PS: what about the performance metric, still interested in contributing it?
;-)