[Mne_analysis] Pial and inner skull surfaces intersecting

Christopher Bailey cjb at cfin.au.dk
Tue Nov 4 04:50:58 EST 2014

Hi Kambiz, Alex and Dan,

In the occipital regions particularly, FLASH-based BEM's seem to be consistently "tight", and in some cases we've even seen inner skull-WM-intersections (admittedly pathological and rare). Omitting such points using mindist is perhaps an option, but doesn't seem very elegant. Furthermore, the inner skull boundary is guaranteed to be wrong, which is not a good outset for forward modelling.

@Kambiz Our experience indicates that the freesurfer-based brainmask is pretty aggressive in the occipital region, which might have some impact on mne_flash_bem. I can see that the brain.mgz-file is often "better" in that it includes a hint of dura outside the pia, but it's very faint and may not be picked up by mri_make_bem_surfaces. Perhaps the use of the -wsthresh parameter to recon-all would help? Do you also see this occipitally?

May not, could not, whatnot... I'm just guessing, of course, since the inner workings of the bem creation are hidden.

I feel this is a suitable opportunity to advocate for some clever person out there to implement a new (and tweakable) BEM surface creation tool. According to the FS website (http://freesurfer.net/fswiki/mri_make_bem_surfaces), we are relying on closed-source code written 15 years ago... Any takers? ;)

@Alex Could you write a few words on how the --atlas option might help here?

/Chris
--
Christopher Bailey, MSc
MEG Engineer, MINDLab Core Experimental Facility

tel. cell: +45-2674-9927
tel. office: +45-7846-9942

On Nov 4, 2014, at 1:24 AM, dgw <dgwakeman at gmail.com<mailto:dgwakeman at gmail.com>>