[Mne_analysis] on_missing and time-frequency

Denis-Alexander Engemann denis.engemann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:18:42 EDT 2014

Hi Virginie

1. this is in fact an issue with the documentation, not a bug. The 'ignore'
option will avoid crashes if one or many events are missing but at least
one remains. If all events are missing nothing will be ignored, currently
the constructor needs at east one event. We might want to rethink the
semantics. Out of curiosity, what are you doing with epochs for which you
know in advance that events and ids don't match? In other words, would
there be a use case for the behavior you expected from 'ignore'? If it's
just to avoid crashes when no event is found, I would manually check that
and skip computations if nothing is found. For example (in a loop that
iterates over datasets or subjects):

if not np.any(np.in1d(event_ids.values(), events[:, 2])):
    continue

2. the second issue sounds mysterious to me, I don't `smell` what might be
going on there.

virginie.van.wassenhove at gmail.com>:

>>> 2. I was giving a quick shot at TF analysis in sensor space using
>>> "tfr_morlet" - although it runs fine, the returned power and itc are not in
>>> readable format or am I missing someting? e.g. "power.plot_topo"  is not
>>> recognized. This was run in spyder with updated mne-python.
>>>

>> In which sense is the format not readable, how does this look like?
>>
> What does it mean that "power.plot_topo" is not recognized?
>>

> I had to close that console, lost the 2 hours computations and I can't
> tell you the exact "format" value it was reporting when calling the
> apparently non-existent "power" variable despite having computed it for 2
> hours. I'll try that again and be more specific.

So you imply that power = tfr_morlet completed (after 2 hours?) but that
`power` was not found?

> Is it possible that "power._getdata()" need to be used to actually load
> the results of tfr_morlet in a spyder console?

This should not be necessay, this one is private and should be ignored for
regular usage.

-Denis