[Mne_analysis] python-MNE installation

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr
Thu Oct 2 02:54:06 EDT 2014

hi Tommi,

> 1. Do I need to cd to a specific directory when I do "easy_install pip" and
> "pip install -e git+https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python#egg=mne-dev?"
> This seems to determine where the "src" dir and paths are set (I did not
> see this mentioned in the "getting started" web page - and now after
> several installation attempts I see I have a few "src" dirs in different
> locations).

no you can be anywhere

> 2. For cleaning up extra copies (see above), how do I remove spurious mne
> python installations? Attempt to "pip uninstall mne-python" at the dirs
> where they were installed gives the error:
> Cannot uninstall requirement mne-python, not installed
> Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log

use "pip uninstall mne"

"mne" is the name on pypi.

> 3. Post installation, where should the user level ~/.cshrc path point? I
> now have it at
> setenv PATH /usr/pubsw/packages/python/System/bin:${PATH}

yes I think.

> DETAILS:
>
> su root + pw
> csh
> whoami: root
>
> - uninstall yum-pip <yum remove python-pip> as root. Result: OK

good

> - install Canopy pip <easy_install pip> as root. Result: OK. Details:
> [raij at tmsh raij]# easy_install pip
> Searching for pip
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pip/
> Best match: pip 1.5.6
> Downloading
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pip/pip-1.5.6.tar.gz#md5=01026f87978932060cc86c1dc527903e
> Processing pip-1.5.6.tar.gz
> Running pip-1.5.6/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
> /tmp/easy_install-HjVeBr/pip-1.5.6/egg-dist-tmp-HRsylX
> warning: no files found matching 'pip/cacert.pem'
> warning: no files found matching '*.html' under directory 'docs'
> warning: no previously-included files matching '*.rst' found under
> directory 'docs/_build'
> no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/_build/_sources'
> Adding pip 1.5.6 to easy-install.pth file
> Installing pip script to /usr/bin
> Installing pip2.6 script to /usr/bin
> Installing pip2 script to /usr/bin
> Installed /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pip-1.5.6-py2.6.egg
> Processing dependencies for pip
> Finished processing dependencies for pip

if you see /usr/lib and not /usr/pubsw/packages/python/System/...
you install on the linux tree and not canopy. That's the problem.
easy_install and canopy seem to install stuff in the wrong place.
You should have everything in the canopy folder.

same thing happens below with pip install mne

if you did not do anywrong and easy_install is the one from canopy
then canopy is buggy and you should give a try to anaconda.

Alex