[Mne_analysis] tf_mixed_norm and PCA option?

Per Arnold Lysne lysne at unm.edu
Thu Oct 2 18:05:18 EDT 2014

Hi Alex,

    If I understand you correctly, the PCA is being used in a data reduction capacity across the sensors, or the spatial dimension. In which case the sensor values at each sample represent the variables (204 in your example), and the samples in time represent the observations. The outcome of this are the component scores (80) at each sample which become the new timecourses.

    The motivation for tf-mxne is do avoid assuming temporal stationarity of the neural sources. By performing the PCA solution over time, i.e. assuming that all of the observations come from the same population, do we not make the same error? This seems very similar to the traditional method of estimating the parameters of an MVAR system over time?

    Thanks for your patience,

-Per