[Mne_analysis] tf_mixed_norm and PCA option?

Per Arnold Lysne lysne at unm.edu
Fri Oct 3 20:48:55 EDT 2014

Hi Alex,

    I think I misunderstand your response because it seems like two different items arise here:

    First, as your publications mention, the model requires that the noise terms be Gaussian white noise. The whitening process is based on the noise covariance matrix and is designed to decorrelate the noise between different sensor channels and then to standardize the variance of these noise distributions. The noise covariance matrix itself is derived from either empty room measurements or combined periods of pre-stimulus measurement with the subject. In either case, these are resting states where we can assume the state of the system is stable and therefore can estimate these covariances over time.

    Second is my question about the pca flag to tf_mixed_norm: is this doing a spatial pca on the post-stimulus data itself, or is this transformation also estimated from the pre-stimulus data? In the former case, I am concerned about stationarity (because the brain network is in a transient, dynamic state), but in the later it makes sense.

    Thanks for your patience with these questions,

-Per