[Mne_analysis] FLASH sequence for BEM

Jon Houck jhouck at unm.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:07:23 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I've been using FLASH sequences based on the 5- and 30-degree FLASH from
MGH (http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~andre/MGH_Morphometry_3T.pdf) with the
Siemens 32-channel head coil.  Image reconstruction fails for this sequence
on a fairly regular basis, possibly due to the additional data (8 echoes x
32 channels) overwhelming the MR acquisition computer.  As far as I can
tell remote reconstruction is only an option for EPI sequences.

The simplest option might be dropping a few echoes from the sequence.  When
I do this the inner skull surface produced by a slightly-modified
mne_flash_bem looks comparable for 8 echoes and for 5 echoes (i.e., the
echoes at 11.85, 13,85, and 15.85 ms were dropped).  I've only been able to
test this on a couple of subjects.  Has anyone done something similar or
anticipate any problems with BEM construction using this approach?

Thanks,

Jon