[Mne_analysis] MNE and EEG channel synchrony

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 13 11:32:16 EDT 2014

Hi Theodore,

Most connectivity metrics are based on some sort of consistency of the
phase relationship between two signals across epochs/trials... In your
example, the PLV looks for how repeatable the phase difference between two
channels across epochs/trials...
  Thus you may want to consider in what sense you want to compute
synchrony and what that would mean before attempting to use the
spectral_connectivity(.) capabilities of MNE.

HTH,
Hari

On Mon, October 13, 2014 8:46 am, Theodore Vasiloudis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use MNE in order to extract some measures of synchrony,
> such as PLV, from EEG
> samples. I saw the related connectivity module in MNE but I am unsure
> about
> the input format
> of the data for the spectral_connectivity function.
>
> What I would like to do is to calculate the synchrony between channels
> that
> are formatted as
> a simple 2d numpy array where each row corresponds to a channel and each
> column is a sample
> so the format is (channel x time).
> However the spectral_connectivity function expects data in the form:
> array, shape=(n_epochs, n_signals, n_times) or generator of array, shape
> =(n_signals, n_times).
>
> So my questions are: Is there some way to use spectral_connectivity or
> some
> other MNE module
> to calculate the synchrony between EEG channels without epoch information?
> Can I translate my 2d array into the array, shape =(n_signals, n_times)
> format that MNE expects?
>
> Regards,
> Theodore

Hari Bharadwaj