[Mne_analysis] ICA code clean up

Virginie van Wassenhove virginie.van.wassenhove at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 05:09:15 EDT 2015

Hi

some comments on inconsistencies found on
http://martinos.org/mne/dev/auto_tutorials/plot_ica_from_raw.html also
observed when actually performing ICA on data.

In your tutorial, you use:  n_max_ecg, n_max_eog = 3,1

Then you effectively find 3 components for ECG (in red in the graphs: IC
59, 33 and 32) but  2 components for EOG (IC 39 and 59)in section 2.
1. If we understand properly, IC 59 captures both ECG and EOG arfifacts, is
this correct?
2. In section 3, there are four components showing up in read on the top
left graph and these are IC 33, 34, 40, and 60. There's a problem of
numbering here? Shift of 1???

In our data:
we applied ICA to raw data :
- we used the same codes specifying n_max_ecg, n_max_eog = 3,3
- 2 components were found for ECG (IC 0 and IC 38 in red with the indexing
starting at 0)

[image: Inline image 2]

- 2 components are found for EOG (4 in red; 2 for each EOG channels
(vertical and horizontal, I am assuming the scores below are or each EOG
channel)

[image: Inline image 3]

When using the ica.plot_sources for ECG only, 3 components (ICA 001; 007;
039) show up in red even though the ecg_inds only contains 2 components
(indices 0 and 38).  Thus, 2 problems here: you need fix the indices issues
(??) and why 3 components and not 2?

[image: Inline image 4]

With this, I am unsure of which ICA are actually being applied in the next
steps.

For the EOG, the exact same 3 component names are indicated on the figure
and eog_inds = [6, 38]

[image: Inline image 5]

Can you please explain what is correct and what is not above? and see in
the codes where indices get lost etc...

Thanks, best wishes,
Virginie

--