[Mne_analysis] ICA code clean up

Virginie van Wassenhove virginie.van.wassenhove at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:39:52 EDT 2015

Hi Denis, all,

You pick n_max_XXX components effectively, but the algorithm may propose
> more above threshold components. You pick the k first biggest, sorted by
> score.

Great! It would be useful to specify that the color codes for the proposed
k first components irrespective of the predefined choice of max components.

> Then the index shift is a peculiarity, as long as you are looking at
> component plots you see indices.
> Once you look at ICA components in a Raw or Epochs object (ica.get_sources
> or certain plot methods) the numbers refer to channel names and hence
> regular numbers. I know it can be confusing, we will eventually find a
> solution.

OK, I am glad this is only surface stuff and not a computational issue.

> [image: Inline image 2]
>>

> The SNR of the detection metric looks very good.

agree

> there is no indexing issue. I fear while trying to make this consistent we
> stopped somewhere in the middle.

ok, that's reassuring

the overlay plots are not selective, they just display all components that
> are marked bad.

ok

> Currently we do not have an API or data structure that gives you post hoc
> reasons for which a component was selected. Could be improved if enough
> people say this is important to them.

Explicit selection criteria can't hurt and would be useful if stated
somewhere.

> Apparently the late ECG wave looks like an EOG for this ICA solution, so
> you have 3 components, ok?

yes

> Let me know if it is clearer now.

Yep, it is clearer and hope it can be useful for others as well

Thanks very muchly!
-V

--
Virginie van Wassenhove