[Mne_analysis] question about epochs.next()

Chris Holdgraf choldgraf at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 5 15:19:34 EDT 2016

I've used iteration vs. indexing in different points in my codebase since
sometimes it's more useful to return arrays. But I agree, looking at the
docs it seems that `next` should return an instance of Epochs.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Dan McCloy <drmccloy at uw.edu> wrote:

> I was puzzled today why this works...
>
> for ix, _ in enumerate(epochs):
>     new_epoch = epochs[ix].crop(tmin, tmax, copy=True)
>
> ... but this does not:
>
> for epoch in epochs:
>     new_epoch = epoch.crop(..., copy=True)
>
> AttributeError: 'numpy.ndarray' object has no attribute 'crop'
>
> According to the docs, Epochs.next() is supposed to return an instance of
> the epochs object, but it doesn't: looking at the code, it actually returns
> something like self._data[self._current].  I would have expected it to
> return something like self.__get_item__(self._current).  So are the docs
> wrong, or is the definition of Epochs.next() implemented wrong?
>
> Daniel McCloy
> http://dan.mccloy.info/
> Postdoctoral Research Associate
> Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences
> University of Washington

PhD Candidate in Neuroscience | UC Berkeley <http://hwni.org/>
Editor and Web Director | Berkeley Science Review
<http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/>