[Mne_analysis] Epoching with stimulus in the first sample of raw data

Leonardo Barbosa lsbarbosa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:13:09 EDT 2016

Dear MNErs,

This is my first project trying to use MNE in "real" data, and I'm trying
to move datasets from eeglab / fieldtrip to MNE

I run into some trouble trying to epoch the data.

The data is a continuous dataset with different sessions.
I have a STIM channel with numbers 1 and 2 for each type of session.
*One pulse every 2 min starting at the first sample*.
I then exported the data using

fieldtrip2fiff

making sure the channel's unit and kind were correctly set.

However, after importing the raw, when I tried to find the events to do the
epoching using this function

events = mne.find_events(raw, stim_channel='STIM')

MNE droped the first event saying

Removing orphaned offset at the beginning of the file.

I looked at the _find_events code and realized that the event pulse should
have at least one empty sample before it.
I tried to change the consecutive parameter to no avail.

What would be the best way to keep the first event / session?

I imagine it is rare to have a stimulus already in the first sample of a
continuous data, but I would like to avoid losing the first session of each
subject or recoding the stimulus at the EEGLAB/fieldtrip if possible.

Thank you,
Leonardo