[Mne_analysis] Best way to apply eye blink projections with the common average

Marijn van Vliet w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 03:46:07 EDT 2016

Dear Matt,

in the MNE suite, EEG data *always* needs to have a reference set. If no
reference is explicitly set, MNE will keep trying to add one (an average
reference). This is currently not documented in the manual (I've created
a ticket for this https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/issues/3538).

In your case, the default average reference is not desired, so you need
to explicitly set a reference using the mne.io.set_eeg_reference()
function. Doing this will cause MNE to stop adding the average reference
all over the place. To explicitly tell MNE that the data has already
been referenced, you would call mne.io.set_eeg_reference(raw, []). This
will also remove any existing (inactive) average ref projections.

See the API documentation for more details:
http://martinos.org/mne/stable/generated/mne.io.set_eeg_reference.html

regards,
Marijn.