[Mne_analysis] vertex coordinates

dgw dgwakeman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:02:53 EST 2016

I would recommend another technique for a couple of reasons:

1. The numbering system only has a rough correspondence for many
vertices and can be wildly off for others. (which makes that more difficult)

2. actually calculating a fit that makes sense is extremely difficult
and is exactly what FreeSurfer is designed to do, which is what the
purpose of the morphing options in mne are designed to take advantage of.

So experimenters can morph to an individual (either from your experiment
or fsaverage, or an average from your experiment). Then extract the data
from similar labels in the annotations.

If those don't fit your needs and the experimenter truly wants the
contralateral non-functionally defined region (this is very specific to
the region and reasons that the experimenter is interested in it), then
look into the xhemi work (Doug Greve is the major developer of it) found
here:
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/Xhemi

This page has a link to the paper which should be read.

Note, that there is a separate fsaverage_sym which is different from
fsaverage (this may mean it is not safe to assume the numbering is
symmetrical, though this would be a question for the freesurfer list). I
think if you want true symmetry between the surfaces this is the
technique to apply. Think carefully though before going down this road:
real brains are not symmetrical, so in many cases it will not make sense
to head down that road.

hth