[Mne_analysis] Unbalanced number of trials between individuals: problem in sources

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 11:13:43 EST 2016

If you plan to take the absolute value of the data (or the norm of the
three components) it's advisable to equalize the event counts. This
nonlinear operation takes what is typically thought of as being zero-mean,
normally distributed noise, and turns it into a folded normal distribution.
A folded normal distribution has a mean that is dependent on the standard
deviation of the un-folded version of the distribution. Different trial
counts yield different effective noise standard deviations, which then
become different noise *means* once the distribution gets folded by the
abs()-like operation.

In other words, if you don't equalize the trial counts before a nonlinear
norm operation, you can end up with potentially biased estimates. At one
point I tried correcting for this bias, but was unsuccessful -- the noise
distribution, even if turned zero-mean, was skewed. Perhaps there is some
good way to deal with it, but subsampling the data (equalizing trial
counts) has seemed to be the safest thus far. It's probably not a big deal
if it's 35 vs 40 trials, but if you have an unbalanced design of e.g. 30
trials in one condition and 60 trials in another, it's more likely to
matter.

Eric