[Mne_analysis] Current dipole moment densities

Emily Stephen emilyps14 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:20:53 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I'm trying to plot current dipole moment densities (e.g. Murakami and Okada
2015 NeuroImage) in mne_analyze and mne-python, and it all seems rather
confusing.

As far as I can tell based on the manual, MNE-C can compute densities if
the cortical patch statistics are available. But I'm confused about when
the cortical patch statistics are used after they are calculated. What do I
need to do to specify that I want current moment densities rather than
unnormalized moments?

Then when it comes to MNE-python I can't find any references to current
densities. Will I need to implement this myself? I think I can see how to
do it using the 'tri-area' field combined with the 'pinfo' vertices in the
SourceSpaces, and the current dipole moments from the SourceEstimate. I'm a
bit worried that I'm not understanding the relationship between the
vertices/patches in the SourceSpaces and the SourceEstimate (since the stc
doesn't have all of the patches from the src), and that this might affect
how I compute the area. Can I just forget about the patches in the
SourceSpaces that aren't in the SourceEstimate?

Thanks,
Emily