[Mne_analysis] Multitapers and DICS

Andrea Brovelli andrea.brovelli at univ-amu.fr
Wed May 25 08:31:45 EDT 2016

Hi Alexandre,
yes, exactly.
In order to compute the single-trial power at the source level *at a
**single frequency, *the steps I normally use (in Fieldtrip) are:
1) Multitaper at the sensor level: compute complex-valued estimates of
spectral measures Xsensor(n, t, k), for each trial n, time t, and taper
k. The cross-spectral density matrices, however, is computed across
trials (average csd).
2) DICS: compute complex-value spectral measures at the source level,
Xsource(s, t, k) =  A * Xsensor(n, t, k), where A(t) is the
real-valued spatial filter that transforms the data from the sensor to
source level, which is computed from the real part of the csd in (1).
The Xsource(s, t, k) is calculated for each source s, time t, and taper k
3) The single-trial power at each source location is computed by
multiplying the complex spectral estimates with their complex conjugate,
and averaged over tapers k. Psource(s, t) = < Xsource dot Xsource(s,
t, k)* > over k
4) Finally, I log-transform the power values to make the data
approximate Gaussian and lowpass filtered at 50 Hz to reduce noise.
Then, the single-trial mean power and SD in the baseline period (i.e.,
multiple estimates of noise) are computed for each source and trial, and
used to z-transform single-trial event-related power time courses.

I hope this is clear. If you want a detailed description you can read
the paragraph "Single-trial HGA at BAs" in the Methods in this paper:
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/35/37/12643.short

However, I am not familiar with MNE yet, I am slowly learning. So, I
don't know exactly how I could contribute to implement this. But I can
help ! Just let me know.

bye
Andrea