[Mne_analysis] Automatic Component Artefact Removal with EEG

Ben McCartney bmccartney06 at qub.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 09:15:39 EDT 2016

Hello,

We have been using EEGLAB to run preprocessing over our EEG data before analysing it with Python, and recently we began looking into MNE as an alternative for the preprocessing step. We were using ICA to detect and automatically remove EOG components using EEGLAB's Binica, along with FASTER and ADJUST. From a quick read through the MNE docs it looks like we could get similar behaviour if we ran the ICA in MNE, then used the find_bads_eog or detect_artifacts function to identify noisy components. Is this the correct approach? Note that we do not have any dedicated EOG channels in our data, would either approach work fine just using a forehead electrode location (like Fpz)?

Thanks,
Ben