[Mne_analysis] SSP vs. ICA for Artifact Correction

Boggess, Matthew Jozsef MBOGGESS at mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 8 14:42:02 EDT 2016

Hello,

MNE provides both SSP and ICA methods for correcting artifacts (eye blinks, saccades, and heartbeat). However, I haven't ever seen these methods compared and was curious if anyone has any reasons to prefer one method over the other? I remember seeing on one of the MNE documentation pages a while back that ICA was recommended over SSP, but I haven't been able to find this statement anymore (perhaps it was removed?).  Was there a reason behind that recommendation?

Thanks!
Matt