[Mne_analysis] SSP vs. ICA for Artifact Correction

Denis-Alexander Engemann denis.engemann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:16:54 EDT 2016

I slightly disagree with Marijn,

They are not equally good because the methods are significantly different.
SSP is less appropriate for ECG/EOG on statistical grounds. It learns
spatial filters by extracting PCA components from the covariance computed
over artifact samples. PCA assumes Gaussian distributions. But in our case
these artifacts typically have skewed and/or peaky distributions, they are
non-Gaussian and ICA happens to be designed for learning spatial filters
from such signals. In my experience SSP can be good but often not good
enough. It tends to remove too much or not enough and is more difficult to
calibrate. This difference is less important for ERP/F analyses but they
can matter for single trial and connectivity estimation. If you do decoding
you don't have to bother either, your supervised model will learn the
important patterns. However, SSP can do an excellent job however at global
denoising when computed on empty room data.
My 2 cents.

Denis