[Mne_analysis] Fwd: From raw MEG to publication - BIOMAG16 satellite workshop, Oct 2, 2016

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr
Thu Sep 15 11:06:18 EDT 2016

[message from Vladimir Litvak]

Dear colleagues,

Apologies in advance for cross-posting. We would like to attract your
attention to the BIOMAG2016 satellite symposium which will take place
on Oct 2nd 2016 and is dedicated to group analysis of MEG data with
free academic toolboxes. Please read the full description below.

With best wishes,

Arnaud Delorme
Alexandre Gramfort
Vladimir Litvak
Srikantan Nagarajan
Robert Oostenveld
Francois Tadel

>From raw MEG to publication: how to perform MEG group analysis with
free academic software.

Organisers: Arnaud Delorme, Alexandre Gramfort, Vladimir Litvak,
Srikantan Nagarajan, Robert Oostenveld, Francois Tadel

Free academic toolboxes have gained increasing prominence in MEG
analysis as a means to disseminate cutting edge methods, share best
practices between different research groups and pool resources for
developing essential tools for the MEG community. In the recent years
large and vibrant research communities have emerged around several of
these toolboxes. Teaching events are regularly held around the world
where the basics of each toolbox are explained by its respective
developers and experienced power users. There are, however, two
knowledge gaps that our BIOMAG satellite symposium aims to address.
Firstly, most teaching examples only show analysis of a single
‘typical best’ subject whereas most real MEG studies involve analysis
of group data. It is then left to the researchers in the field to
figure out for themselves how to make the transition and obtain
significant group results. Secondly, we are not familiar with any
examples of fully analyzing the same group dataset with different
academic toolboxes to assess the degree of agreement in scientific
conclusions and compare strengths and weaknesses of various analysis
methods and their independent implementations. Our workshop is
organised by the lead developers of six most popular free academic MEG
toolboxes (in alphabetic order): Brainstorm, EEGLAB, FieldTrip, MNE,
NUTMEG, and SPM. Ahead of the workshop the research team for each
toolbox will analyze the same group MEG/EEG dataset. This dataset
containing evoked responses to face stimuli was acquired by Richard
Henson and Daniel Wakeman, who won a special award at BIOMAG2010 to
make it freely available to the community. All the raw data are
available at

ftp://ftp.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/personal/rik.henson/wakemandg_hensonrn/

and

https://openfmri.org/dataset/ds000117/

Detailed instructions for each toolbox will be made available online
including analysis scripts and figures of results. All analyses will
show a full pipeline from the raw data to detailed publication quality
results. Researchers who are interested in using the respective
toolbox will then be able to reproduce the analysis in their lab and
port it to their own data.

At the workshop each group will briefly introduce their software and
present the key results from their analysis. This will be followed by
a panel discussion and questions from the audience.

Following the event we plan to integrate the suggestions and questions
from the workshop audience and to publish the analyses details as part
of a special research topic in Frontiers in Neuroscience, section
Brain Imaging Methods so that the proposed best practices will be
endorsed by peer review and become citable in future publications.
Other research groups will be invited to contribute to the research
topic as long as they present detailed descriptions of analyses of
group data that are freely available online and make it possible for
others to fully reproduce their analysis and results.

We hope that this proposal will lead to creation of invaluable
resource for the whole MEG community and the workshop will contribute
to establishment of good practice and promoting consistent and
reproducible analysis approaches. The event will also showcase all the
toolboxes and will be of interest to beginners in the field with basic
background in MEG who contemplate the most suitable analysis approach
and software for their study as well as to experienced researchers who
would like to get up to date with the latest methodological
developments.