[Mne_analysis] SNR estimate for single trials

Sheraz Khan, PhD sheraz at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 2 12:34:48 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I second Hari, I always used 3.0 in my old Matlab stream for processing
single trial data for event related connectivity.

Thanks

Sheraz

> Hi Ana and Alex,
>
> I am not so sure about specifying a low SNR for single trials... Yes, it's
> true of course that single trials are noisier, but often single trial
> processing in the source space is followed by combining across trials.. So
> in many (but not all) instances, it is useful to have a consistent inverse
> operator (specifying a fixed SNR... and for dSPM scaling the noise cov by
> a fixed number of trials).
>
> For instance, if you did inverse first on single trials and then averaging
> in source space vs. average across trials in sensor space first and then
> do inverse, you would get different answers if you specified different
> SNRs for the two cases.
>
> This issue came up before, and the 3.0 was used to make them consistent:
>
> https://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pipermail//mne_analysis/2014-April/002066.html
>
> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/pull/1237
>
> Just something to keep in mind depending on how you are using single trial
> inverses.
>

> - Hari

-------------------------
Sheraz Khan, M.Eng, Ph.D.
Instructor in Neurology

Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School

McGovern Institute for Brain Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology