[Mne_analysis] Discrepancy between ICA plots?

Lorenzo Alfine lorenzo.alfine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:13:12 EST 2017

Dear MNE experts,

I'm currently working on ICA and I'm really confused about an issue.
What makes me uncertain is a (possible) discrepancy between the topomap and
the "epochs image and ERP/ERF" plots of *ica.plot_properties(). *

I'll give you an example: the two figures in this link
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4J_Mny93UZYZXFZRnVjV2w4OG8> show the
ICA component IC#000, the first obtained with
*ica.plot_properties(epochs_clean,
picks=0)*, the second from *ica.plot_sources(epochs_clean)*.
The component in the sources plot shows positive spikes (eyeblinks?) and
these can be noticed also in the top-right plot of the plot_properties.
They are shown in red (positive) -- everything okay thus far.

I'm getting confused looking at the topomap, though. Shouldn't it be
red-ish? It is widespread and blue and it seems not to reflect  the data
shown on the right!

The raw data looks ok, I've looked into the documentation and asked an EEG
expert (who's used EEGlab in the past), but we are clueless. I've also
tried a different ICA method, producing the same output. Could the two
plots have different amplitude scales?

Thank you all,

Lorenzo Alfine

MSc student, University of Padova