[Mne_analysis] Negative Weighted Phase Lag Index Values

Cushing, Cody CCUSHING1 at mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 15 11:20:35 EDT 2017

I'm not sure whether to respond here or to that Digest email that just got sent out, but Jeff appears to also be using the 'wpli2_debiased' method, according to the chunks of code that just got sent out:

"        con_methods = ['coh', 'pli', 'wpli2_debiased'] "

And Eric seems to be correct that these values can indeed be negative.  If you look at Fig. 12 of Vinck et. al 2011, their color mapping spans from -0.2 to 0.6, with the two bias measure (unbiased PLI2 and debased WPLI2) both appearing to reach negative values compared to the direct PLI2.  So, if Jeff is truly using 'wpli2_debiased' as his method just as I am (as the code suggests), then there should be no bug.

Cheers,
Cody