[Mne_analysis] preprocessing/ICA: movement artifacts vs blinks

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:18:15 EDT 2017

> My approach is to fit ICA on the epochs as I want to analyze them, and
> use ica.plot_properties to inspect every component and manually identify
> the EOG-related components. This is usually very easy to do based on scalp
> distribution, variance, and the epochs raster plots (and easy to teach
> undergrads to reliably identify as well).

Assuming the movement artifacts are much bigger than the blinks, I wonder
if this suggestion be adapted to this use case with something like:

1. Use `make_fixed_length_events` to make regularly-spaced events of some
duration (not sure if e.g., 1 sec or 10 sec would work better)
2. Create Epochs using a rejection threshold that throws away epochs based
on movement artifacts, but not the blink artifacts.
3. Run ICA on the Epochs.

Eric