[Mne_analysis] Head movement correction as a pre-processing step

qiongz at andrew.cmu.edu qiongz at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 1 11:32:07 EDT 2017

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. I have looked
into papers during that period of time by matti Hämäläinen, with the most
relevant material in this chapter
<https://mycourses.aalto.fi/pluginfile.php/123749/mod_resource/content/1/2002-Hämäläinen-BrainMappingMethods.pdf>
p237
last paragraph in section 3 providing some understanding of the problem:

"The continuous records of the head movements can then be utilized in
different correction methods. If the signal-to-noise ratio is so good that
unaveraged signals can be modeled, one can simply use a different
coordinate transformation between the anatomical and device coordinate
frames at each time instant. The situation is more complicated if signals
are averaged or if continuous data segments containing signals from
supposedly identical source distributions are compared. Uutela et al.
(2001) have recently explored several alternative computational approaches
applicable to signal averaging and source modelling in situations with
significant head movements during the data acquisition.
 "

As the name 'mne_map_data' suggests the use of simple transformation and is
often applied by sessions/blocks, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to
implement different transformations between the anatomical and device
coordinate frames using data averaged within those sessions/blocks. As a
result, the sensor data is transformed as if they are recorded from the
same anatomical positions across these sessions/blocks.

Best,
Qiong