[Mne_analysis] 50Hz artefact for time frequency analysis {Disarmed}

Alejandro Weinstein alejandro.weinstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:00:21 EDT 2017

>  I read the comment below realize that this would be true for zeroing out
> this frequency but could I not replace the existing 60HZ coefficient  with
> lets say the average power values of the59hz and 61Hz and reconstitute the
> wave without a heaving ringing?

Any nonzero coeficient at the 60Hz will translate in a 60Hz component
in the time domain. So I thing that will not work.

> Also say the data is decomposed using 1Hz frequency bins , but in the end I
> will only need to conduct time-frequncy analysis and 2Hz resolution, can i
> not spectral decompose the data at 1Hz and  reconstitute it just using a 2Hz
> bin resolution?

I don't quite understand what you're saying. But I don't think that
changing the frequency resolution will help you to reduce the 60Hz
component.

However, I think you may get less distortion if you try with a smaller
order filter. You can control that with the `filter_length` parameter.
You can also try to see what happens with `method='spectrum_fit'` .

Alejandro