[Mne_analysis] Elastic Net Inverse Solutions

Emily Stephen emilyps14 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 15:45:03 EDT 2017

Hi Alex,

I was drawn to Elastic Nets because I'm dealing with a dataset that is
unlikely to be strictly sparse spatially, and I expect a large-ish region
to have quite highly correlated activity. My understanding and experience
with L1 regularization is that it chooses a small subset of these
correlated sources, rather than selecting a set of them (I woudl like the
solution to capture all of the correlated active sources). L2
regularization, of course, has the opposite problem, allowing all of the
sources to be nonzero.

In an ideal world I would like an inverse solution that can have a large
contiguous region of highly correlated active sources, and the rest of the
brain as zero or close to zero. I should be able to do this with elastic
nets by tuning the two regularization parameters. Is there a configuration
of mixed norm solvers that can do it?

I'll deal with the time dimension later, although I'm open to the idea of
doing the whole thing in the frequency domain, since I have a long stretch
of stationary data and the interesting effects are all in one frequency
band.

Thanks,
Emily