[Mne_analysis] MNE toolbox v 0.15 and others

Failing, F.M. michel.failing at vu.nl
Thu Sep 21 10:12:22 EDT 2017

Hello,

I've been starting to use MNE in my own analyses and I am becoming a huge fan! Keep it up!

I have a few questions and a colleague recommended me this email address for such matters. My apologies if this is not the right address to ask questions. In this case, could you direct me to the right one? As for my questions:

(1)    I am using Windows 7/10 and the most recent stable MNE version in Spyder 3.1.2. However, I saw that there are some changes regarding the filters and filter design coming up. Specifically, I've been trying to use method fir_design='firwin2' but since this is only implemented in developmental version of MNE 0.15, I have to stick with method='fir'. Is there any ETA on when the MNE 0.15 version is getting a stable release? Is there by any chance a way to install the MNE 0.15 developmental version on Windows in the meantime? I heard it is possible for other OS like Mac but I couldn't figure out how it works for Windows.

(2)    I am coming from MATLAB and EEGLab and I appreciate the interactive interface for manually rejecting individual epochs and/or electrodes. It has numerous advantages over the one from EEGLab! However, I noticed that it is (in comparison) very slow and sometimes unresponsive. Is this related to the computers I use or is this a known issue?

(3)    Another aspect, which would be more of a feature request, is that there seems to be no scale indicator for the amplitude in these plots. I am doing visual research and I use the VEOG and HEOG channels at times to identify eye movements. Oftentimes there is a clear relationship between the size of the eye movement and the increase in amplitude at the beginning and end of the step function. For situations like these, it would be handy to have an indicator of the scale (see bottom right in this picture http://cognitrn.psych.indiana.edu/busey/temp/eeglabtutorial4.301/rejtut/rawpink1.gif for an example in EEGLab). Is this feature already there (and I just don't see it) or is it something that is planned for future releases anyways?

I really appreciate any help - thanks,

Michel Failing

Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mail: michel.failing at vu.nl<mailto:michel.failing at vu.nl> | phone: +31 20 598 2795 | web: http://www.michelfailing.com<http://www.michelfailing.com/>