[Mne_analysis] EEG reference

Christopher Bailey cjb at cfin.au.dk
Thu Sep 28 02:58:11 EDT 2017

Hi Mengting,

So as I understand, reference is only a required step for source localization,

The _average_ reference is required for source localisation

but not any other steps like measuring the connectivity between brain regions.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “brain regions” here. If you’re going to measure connectivity in source space, your need an (inverse) operator of some sort to project your electrode-data “into the brain”.

If you want to do sensor-level connectivity calculations on EEG data, the effect of the reference might depend on the connectivity metric you use. For those time/frequency-domain measures I’m aware of (but have little first-hand experience with), it doesn’t matter which reference your data is in.

Sounds reference removed the DC componets but remains the oscillation. If so, does it influence the power in DC components?

Yes and no. Relative differences within and between channels remain the same in any (proper) reference. Note though that the time-domain is not involved in (re-)referencing, so possible ‘DC components’ still remain in the data.

 Also, does it matter the conventional source localization methods such as dipole fitting?

All localisation methods require the average reference, otherwise the recorded and predicted (forward model) data cannot be compared.

Best,

Chris