[Mne_analysis] Maxfilter error: ill conditioned matrix

Sophie Herbst ksherbst at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:32:09 EDT 2018

Dear all,
I am using maxfilter from within mne_python, and I am getting the following
error for several participants:
Matrix is badly conditioned: 22221 >= 1000
Head position change is over 25mm

At first I thought it was because the HPI wasn't fit properly (I had one
participant for whom 2/4 coils had a too large distance), but I am also
getting the matrix-badly-condition error with other participants for whom
the HPI was fine.

I know that I can set the function to give a warning instead of an error,
but I still would like to understand what happens.
Do you have any recommendation on how to deal with this?

Thank you,
Sophie